The University of Rajasthan is the oldest institution of higher learning in Rajasthan. It was established on 8th January, 1947, as the University of Rajputana with the main objective of disseminating knowledge and catering to the needs of the students of Rajasthan. It had jurisdiction over the entire state. In the year 1956, the Rajputana University was renamed as the University of Rajasthan, keeping intact its enveloping jurisdiction. With the successive creation of other universities, its affiliating jurisdiction has come down, but it is still the hub of Higher Education in Rajasthan paving the way for the other universities. It attracts students from all over Rajasthan and other parts of India and abroad. The University generates cost effective resources to achieve financial self-sufficiency. Self financing courses are offered both at U.G. and P.G. level. Being both teaching and affiliating University, it ensures equitable distribution of facilities for higher education in different parts of the state under its jurisdiction. The University allocates majority of its budget for academic programs. Students are admitted either on the basis of entrance test or merit. Many departments and all the Constituent Colleges have their own library in addition to the Central Library.